Add this to your 5 minute recipes! This pesto-slathered healthy breakfast sandwich can be whipped up in minutes and offers a delicious spin on breakfast.
In the nearly 8 years of A Couple Cooks, we’ve never created 5 minute recipes. Because on one hand, calling something a 5 minute recipe can make it seem dumbed down and trivial, the exact opposite of our pretty simple philosophy. Cooking takes time, and it’s worth making time for. On the other hand, this breakfast sandwich absolutely deserves its 5 minute recipes moniker because it is truly quick. This is barely a recipe, but we’re posting it because if you’re anything like us, you’re always in need of creative ideas in the kitchen. With that in mind, we’ve got a 5 minute –yes, really 5 minute — healthy breakfast sandwich for you for those days you’re in need of a quick fix.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 multi-grain English muffin
- 2 to 3 tablespoons high-quality basil pesto, purchased or homemade if in season (or use vegan cashew pesto)
- 1 handful baby arugula (or other baby greens)
- Kosher salt
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Crack the egg into the pan and sprinkle with a few pinches kosher salt. When the whites are mostly cooked after a minute or two, flip and cook another 30 seconds, then remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, toast the English muffin. Spread both sides generously with pesto. When the egg is done, slide it onto one half of the English muffin.
- Add a handful of arugula to the still hot pan and return to medium heat; add a pinch of kosher salt and cook for a few seconds until wilted down. Remove from the heat and place the arugula on top of the egg.
- Top the sandwich with the other half of the English muffin and serve immediately.
You can read full article and recipes here: https://www.acouplecooks.com/5-minute-pesto-arugula-breakfast-sandwich/